Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Stations of the Cross

The season of lent is a time of life in shadow. Our days are still full of hustle and bustle. We’re buying Easter outfits one minute and then attending a prayer service or practicing a Lenten discipline the next. It’s a time full of life in the shadow of the cross. And before we sing alleluia, don our Easter best and bring our flowers, we must first journey with Christ to the cross.

For centuries, the church has used a special way to enable Christians to experience the passion story. “The Stations of the Cross” involves 14 illustrations that tell the passion story from the garden of Gethsemane to laying Jesus in the tomb. 

As my Lenten discipline this year, I have chosen to paint contemporary versions of The Stations of the Cross to share with you. Each painting is a modern, minimalistic abstract depicting a piece of the story. They are designed to be stark signposts to help you to stop and contemplate the story in new ways. Rather than depicting the traditional gory details, I tried to focus on the emotional themes of rejection, isolation, betrayal, and other sufferings. 

Be on the lookout for these in the coming days. As you view the upcoming posts, I hope you will take a moment to contemplate the suffering love of God in Jesus Christ. 


May you all have a blessed Lenten season.

1 comment:

  1. I have found these paintings to be emotional and significant, and they have helped me contemplate Jesus' sacrifice for me. Thank you for these! I hope they are displayed somewhere! (I am sharing them with my adult kids, who are both in seminary. I think they will love them!)

    ReplyDelete