Sunday, January 1, 2012

Carpe Diem



Why am I posting a fall painting to start the new year? I has to do with my new year’s resolution.

Typically, in late October, I bring my new paintings outdoors to photograph. One day, as I was setting up for the shoot, I was impressed by the beauty of the little tree in my yard. It was the perfect scene to sum up everything I love about autumn. The leaves were peak color. The sky was brilliant. Fall is my favorite time of year. I just love the mild temperatures, the crisp air, the changing colors and the long cast shadows in the afternoons. I believe I could live perpetually in autumn. But sadly, autumn is but a season. The colors here are only at peak color for just a week or two, if you’re lucky. Realizing the brevity of the moment that I was witnessing, I decided to stop what I was doing and paint the moment. I replaced the finished art on my easel for blank canvas and began to paint my little tree. And I am so glad I did. That evening, a weather front blew in. The next day, the tree was bare.

Each and every day is a gift from God. My resolution is to make the most of every day’s blessings. Rain of shine, I hope to live each day in gratitude. Life is too fragile and brief not to.

Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment