Monday, August 15, 2016

Shady Spot and A Place of Renewal and Reflection


8"x10" Oil on Panel
with Palette Knife
Click Here to Purchase


Today's post is a shady sycamore painted en plein air for the Chestnut Group art event benefiting the Harpeth River Watershed. 

Painting outdoors is always a renewing experience. But this spot was particularly special for me. This tree lives by a pond on a farm which used to belong to the Christian/Pop singer Amy Grant. Back in the 90s, she hosted regular music/worship events in the barn on her farm. As a college student, I went to a couple of those events. They were very renewing for my faith life at that time. Returning over 20 years later to that same space as a painter gave me a lot to think about. I thought about where I've been and where I am now as both a person of faith and as an artist. I have much to be thankful for. I'm thankful for the gifts of renewing moments. I'm thankful for the gift of art and what it has done for my life. I'm thankful for the simple gifts of shady spots in nature—resting beside still waters. And most importantly, I'm thankful for a loving and patient God who gives all of those gifts and so much more.




You can learn more about the Chestnut Group event "Scenes of the Harpeth" here:

Scenes of the Harpeth



No comments:

Post a Comment