Thursday, March 4, 2010

Dancing with David: En Gedi



This was it. In the dark of a cave at En Gedi came David’s perfect opportunity to get rid of King Saul once and for all. What are the chances that Saul would take a pit-stop in the very cave where David was hiding? (This is Old Testament drama at it’s best) It sure seemed like God was handing Saul over to David at that very moment. But in a dramatic twist of grace, David chose not to kill Saul. In spite of all of the awful things Saul had done, he was still God's Anointed. David respected that and spared Saul’s life. This led to a longer time of hardship for David. I wonder if David ever regretted his decision. Eventually the reign of Saul came to an end that cleared the path for David in ways he could have never imagined.

This is one of my favorite drawings in this series. David peers from a nook in the cave at his target. Sword drawn, David faces his moment of decision. There is much light and dark at play in this piece. There is also loneliness and longing. How long must we wait for God to answer our cries for help? How will we be able to discern God’s response?

PSALM 13

How long, O Lord? Will you forget me for ever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I bear pain in my soul,
and have sorrow in my heart all day long?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?


Consider and answer me, O Lord my God!
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,
and my enemy will say, ‘I have prevailed’;
my foes will rejoice because I am shaken.


But I trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment